Thursday 22 April 2010

Update!

I have nothing to say and I'm saying it. So, in lieu of anything else, how about a list of the books I've read so far this year (discounting the ones I've mentioned previously).

City Boy Edmund White
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit Jeanette Winterson
Our Ancestors Italo Calvino
Speak, Memory Vladimir Nabokov
Voodoo Histories David Aaronovitch
Capitalist Realism Mark Fisher
Darkness at Noon Arthur Koestler
Reappraisals Tony Judt

If only I could remember everything I'd read, I'd be a smart man by now. But all I can recall is anonymous gay sex, an exorcism in Cheadle Hulme, an aristocrat who lives in the trees, Vladimir Nabokov's 50 servants, David Shayler's theory that the WTC was blown up by cruise missiles in disguise, capitalism is bad for our souls (and here are the top five films that prove it), the Soviets did it to themselves, and something about 20th century history. Oh, and I now know how long the Six-Day War was.

3 comments:

Dennis Dennis said...

More anonymous gay sex? But why am I NEVER involved? I could at least be some manner of meat in the room...

Alun Richards said...

The Meat in the Room is, by chance, the name of my first collection of short stories. Or do I mean short films? No doubt the answer to this and other pressing question will come to light in due course.

WillowAllTogether said...

I can't quite decide whether it would be amazing or pathetic to get that John Cage quote as a tattoo....Amazing vs pathetic. It's a fine line.